Friday, September 16, 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day 26

Day 26 – A song that you can play on an instrument


I doubt I could do it anymore, but I used to be able to play the "MASH" theme song on my clarinet. My friend Aggie used to sit outside with me, and we would play our instruments together. We would give the neighborhood a concert. I remember one time we played Christmas songs. One of us would sing while the other played, then we would switch off. It was either a really warm December or this was in about April. I wonder if it drove the neighbors nuts.

One day we decided to fool around and figure out how to play songs we knew but didn't have the music for. We figured out the "MASH" theme, and it sounded pretty good. That's the only one we got through, though. Now my oldest daughter Andrea is learning to play an instrument- the viola. I wonder what kind of concerts she'll perform for the neighborhood. I wonder if it will drive the neighbors nuts. I wonder if I'll care or if I'll just let her make her own memories.

6 comments:

  1. That was really lovely! I know how you feel about the viola. I've stayed away from saying anything to my son about the violin lessons. Am giving him space to figure out how he wants to go with it. I do like what you said about letting them make their own memories. That's really what it is all about, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After looking at all Andrea does this school year, I can see why it is hard for the kids to stick with one thing. She wants to explore so many different options. That would be great if it wasn't so expensive to do these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I love the MASH theme song! And the whole show, really. I need to start watching it more often, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the local TV channels is Retro TV. My dad got me hooked on watching it while we were living there. It shows "Mash," "I Love Lucy," and several other old shows. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed them until I got to spend a lot of time with my dad, letting him pick what we watched. Yep, more Mash wouldn't hurt! LOL Thanks for stopping by Sonya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Karen, i guess it's been a while since I was on your site. I'm sorry you were so ill. I'm glad to hear things are getting better; man it is hard to be patient when you just want to get back in the game, isn't it?

    Changing gears, I love that you played the Mash theme on your clarinet!

    Just stopped from Comment Love day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure is difficult to be patient! It's been six months next week since this all began. I just want it to all be over, but I'll get there eventually! I'd really like to try a Sprint Tri once I do get "back into the game."

    ReplyDelete