Wednesday, September 28, 2011

30 Day Challenge: Day 1

I found another challenge at Sunlight After Rain. Since I've been having a hard time finding something interesting to say I decided to do another of these challenges. They make nice prompts. I hope you are enjoying them, too. Here goes day one:

My current relationship

Daniel and I have been married for 11 years. We've been together for about 12.5. We were friends before we got together, which is great. I knew him when he was married to his previous wife, and he knew me when I was married to my previous husband. We knew how each handled a marriage, so that was interesting to have that insight. Before you ask, no, we did not cheat on our spouses with each other. Each of our marriages had run their natural courses before we had any romantic involvement. We DID get together before the final divorce decrees were signed, but there was no chance for either of those relationships to work. NONE!

The jerk and I had been living together for the past six weeks with divorce proceedings already in motion. He just needed to find a place to live and a car to drive. I was still trying to figure out what to do with my life and could afford the apartment and cars (both in my name), so life wasn't changing too much for me. Our marriage had been over for a long time before anyone else knew. For his privacy I won't get into the ultimate reasons for our divorce, but I can tell you I never would have been enough for him.

Daniel was supposed to be my rebound relationship. No one thought we would last. Everyone thought that he and I were just comforting each other through a hard time. Well, I guess we found we had enough in common to make a marriage to each other work. I'm very happy with what we have. We've been through some rough times; there is no doubt about that. We still have some pretty big fights (we both have a temper). But, in the end, I know Daniel will always be there for me and for our children. It is his commitment that totally makes this relationship different from any I've ever experienced.

2 comments:

  1. Heard such a lot about 'jerk' spouses in the last week :-(
    Am so glad you got out and found someone true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I couldn't imagine how different my life would be if I was still married to the first husband. He was very oppressive. Daniel always encourages me to live out my dreams. I definitely wouldn't be a teacher today if I had stayed with the first!

    ReplyDelete