I'm not going to lie; I'm looking forward to a much needed break. Teaching is really hard work. There are rewarding times, but there are also frustrating times. Teachers NEED breaks throughout the school year so they can recharge and get a fresh perspective. I've got to tell you; student teaching does NOT prepare one for being in complete control of the classroom. Even though I had a mentor teacher who involved me in a LOT of the "behind the scenes" action in our classroom last year, I wonder how much more he had to deal with that I never even noticed. All I can say is that I'm pooped!
I've definitely learned a lot through the past nine weeks. I've discovered areas that need improvement (procedures for turning in assignments, for example), and I've learned that I need to let the students fail just a little bit so they will take responsibility for themselves. I've learned that I need to give myself more time for me. I won't be bringing home as much grading this quarter. If I am slower to post the scores, that will have to be okay. I've asked for parent volunteers and not gotten a response, so the grades being posted quickly must not be high on the priority list.
I already know some assignments that will be dumped next year and some that we will spend more time on, too. I will also be skipping my weekly library trip. The students aren't taking advantage of the books I'm bringing in, so I'll build my classroom library a little at a time and spare myself an hour a week. That time can be better spent writing more creative lesson plans. This first year is all about figuring out what will work and what will not.
My favorite lesson so far this year? This week's 5th graders wrote a business plan and came up with a new product or service. Then they designed an advertisement. It was fun seeing what they could come up with.
Hi Karen :-)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've had quite a time of it! The fifth grader's business plan sounds like a lot of fun. Why didn't they get as creative with us when we were younger?!
Anne, I just learned in the teaching conference that it wasn't until the mid 1980s that cooperative learning (group work) and project based learning became popular. Before that it was the traditional seat work and book learning. That was interesting to me. I don't know about you, but by the mid 80s I was half way through school. That's probably why I had a hard time adjusting to group work the times I do remember doing it.
ReplyDelete