For years, I have had a favorite place that I call Heaven in the Middle of the City. The real name is the Riparian Institute. It is right off the main road, and right next to the county library, but once you get onto the trails, the city just fades away.
The Riparian Institute is a wildlife preserve, and there are several different ponds and trails to check out. I have loved walking there since the girls were little. In fact, we had a birthday party there one year. I think Amber was turning 3, but I honestly can't remember for sure.
Every time we go to the Riparian Preserve we see something different. Yesterday, I almost tripped over a turtle. We think it was laying eggs, because she was burrowed into the ground with her hind end and looked miserable. We also saw rabbits (tons of rabbits) and rats. It was a super active time in the desert on a Saturday afternoon.
I did get to see my favorite bird, a heron, but I didn't get pictures. It was too far away. Maybe next time.
We got in almost two miles of walking, and that was enough for me. My feet did hurt at one point, but we slowed down, and by the time we got to the trail where we could have headed for the car, I was ready to keep going on the longer trail. It looks like two miles is about my limit right now. It's much better than the 30 feet I was walking with the help of a walker at this time three years ago, though!








No comments:
Post a Comment