I got this idea from the post I wrote about musical memories. For some reason, Daniel and I had a terrible time picking a song to dance to at our wedding. Every time we thought we had one picked out, it turned out to just not work a couple weeks later. Here are some we discarded along the way:
1. Amazed by Lonestar:
I still love this song, and every time I hear it I think about Daniel. We got SO sick of hearing this song, though that we decided we didn't want to use it for our official wedding dance. The song was first released shortly after we got together and it was played about 75 times an hour. Well, that might be a SLIGHT exaggeration, but I'm sure it's not by much!
2. You're Still the One by Shania Twain:
EVERYONE predicted that Daniel and I wouldn't stay together for longer than a couple of weeks. Our story is one of challenge, right from the beginning of our relationship. WE both knew from the moment we decided to transform our relationship from friendship to romance that we would be getting married, though. In fact, we pretty much made a commitment to spending our lives together before our very first kiss. We didn't want to lose what we did have together. Daniel is a GREAT friend and someone anyone would be lucky to have on his side. It took some serious consideration to risk losing a friend like Daniel. We eventually chose not to use this song as our wedding dance because it made it sound like we had been together forever, when the truth was we only spent 13 months as a couple before we got married. I did, however, use this song on a digital scrapbook I made for our 10th wedding anniversary.
3. Almost Paradise by Mike Reno & Ann Wilson:
This is surely the funniest of all the Songs that Weren't. Daniel and I were seriously considering this song, but we were also going to Circle K (a convenience store) quite often. During that time a new drink was being introduced: Parrot Ice. Well, once Daniel crooned "Almost Parrot Ice" as we were leaving Circle K with our smoothie drinks, I knew this song was doomed. I still can't walk out of a Circle K without singing.
AND..... The One That Was:
4. On the Side of Angels by Leanne Rimes:
Finally, a song that the lyrics seemed perfect, it wasn't overplayed, and we believed could stand the test of time. This was, after all, something that we hoped to be played again at our 50-year wedding anniversary. We wanted to still be able to dance to it and enjoy it when our hearing was fading, our eye-sight was less than perfect, and our bones weren't quite as strong as they were when we were in our 20s. This song was so NOT overplayed that our DJ had never heard of it. We had to go out and buy a copy of the CD for him to use. He wound up keeping it for his collection, loving the song. I hope you enjoy it, too!
Awe :) Wedding songs do seem hard for a lot of couple. We already had a song so it wasn't too difficult for us. I love the thought though, that one day I will smile from hearing our wedding song and remembering that dance. I can't wait! 4 more days!
ReplyDeleteWhat song will you be dancing to, Britnie? I'm sending positive thoughts of happiness your way for this weekend!
ReplyDeleteI am quite familiar with the first two songs. I always wanted to use Shania's song "From This Moment On" when I planned my second and third wedding--neither one every happened. And now I doubt I'll ever get married again, but no biggie. I thought I would hate my wedding songs after the divorce, but thankfully "One Hand, One Heart" from "West Side Story" is still a song I like and doesn't bring back painful memories (even though my ex and I sang it).
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how sometimes we expect memories to be painful, but they are not.
ReplyDelete