Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction: View

I found this really cute writing prompt, and I just had to give it a try.  I've been reading the Five Sentence Fiction writings on a couple of other blogs now for awhile, and I am AMAZED at what people can do with just five sentences.  We'll see what I can do.

Here is what Five Sentence Fiction is all about:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.

This week's prompt was:  View.  Warning:  There is a word that many people take offense to in the writing below.  I don't use it often on my blog, but when I do I use it with much thought.  For this particular piece of writing, I thought it was appropriate.  The character wouldn't have sounded right without the strong language.  I do understand if readers choose not to continue after reading this warning, but if you do, I hope you enjoy my first stab at Five Sentence Fiction.

Sitting on the backyard porch swing where they had spent so many hours together, Janie knew Roger wasn't ever coming back.  The leisurely morning coffee shared on the back porch, the late afternoon hikes in the middle of the fall, and the evening star gazing were all finished.  Nothing would ever be the same.  Janie twisted the ring off her finger and threw it out into the night, hitting the raccoon that was just waiting for her to go inside so he could raid the garbage can.  She screamed into the night air as she turned to retire for another restless night, "Fucking cancer....WHY?"

Acting Balanced


Lillie McFerrin Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment