Thursday, July 15, 2010

Still not smoking

So I looked at the calendar yesterday, and I was shocked to see the date. This month is FLYING by! What was significant about yesterday's date? Nothing particularly. What was significant was the fact that the 12th had passed and I hadn't even noticed. July 12th marks two months since I last had a cigarette. That is really cool!

I wasn't a huge smoker to begin with. A cigarette here or there when I was alone, a smoke with Daniel in the evenings, never a big deal for me. But.... hanging out with friends who were smoking was a common activity. Many of my friends were people I had met when we were outside for a smoke and they were, too. That is how we learned to relate to each other.

So... for the last two months I've been pretty much a hermit. I've stayed away from people I equate with smoking. It's been lonely at times, but an important part of the process. Yesterday I realized that I haven't actually even thought about smoking for some time. It just isn't an activity I participate in any longer. Maybe it's time to test some triggers. It would be nice to sit around a table and chat with friends again. Maybe we can all be smoke-free. If not, I'm still me and will stick to my commitment to myself. I can always get up and take a walk away from the group if I need to. Maybe I'll keep my running shoes on when I hang out with my smoking friends. That will be a nice reminder of how hard it is to breathe WITHOUT purposely polluting my lungs!

No comments:

Post a Comment