Friday, July 23, 2010

Physical Limitations- A Side Note

Before I continue my story I want to remind readers that diving into the past can be a very emotional process. I have been reading a lot about the natural progression of a person serious about losing weight and changing lifestyle. A lot of what I have read mentions that one key to losing weight is looking into WHY and HOW the person got heavy to begin with. Letting go of the weight can mean letting go of some of the past as well.

I thought that was a bunch of bunk until I started coming up with all sorts of feelings and memories that I didn't understand. Why would I think of that particular moment now, in the middle of a 4 mile run, I wondered. I realized that this road I have been traveling is all connected. I didn't leave certain happenings behind. These memories are the things that have made me who I am today.

Apparently I am ready to leave some of the issues behind, to shed them with the weight I've been holding onto for protection. I am ready to be the best me I can be again. Along the way I lost that somewhere- the willingness to go to battle for myself. I started to blindly accept the negative aspects of my life rather than fight through and come out a winner. I started being okay with doctors telling me I "may" never do this or that. As you will see, in my younger years I did everything I could to prove those ideas wrong. I used the anger towards my limitations in a good way. I didn't give in. I'm back there again. I'm not giving in. I hope to live another 60 years, at least. Those years are going to be lived on my terms- in good health, in good spirits, and with a strong mind.

I say this as a side note to my physical limitations series because I know what is coming. The stories I am about to share can be quite personal. Some of these stories are bringing back the same anxiety and fear they originally held. Some of the stories bring smiles and laughter. Basically, over the last couple of weeks I have been riding an emotional roller coaster as I think about where I have been and where I am going. I just wanted to warn you to buckle up and hold on tight! The following posts may not be as positive as what you've come to expect on my blog. But.... they are part of me and part of my journey. Thank you for sticking around (especially if this is your second time around with some of these issues).

No comments:

Post a Comment