I'm going to give Moms Tree House's Writing Club a try for the first time this week. Each Monday she posts a couple of writing prompts. On Friday we can come back and link up our posts for others to enjoy. I'm going to give this a shot because I do enjoy prompts to expand my thinking and writing skills.
This week I am choosing prompt #2: Something stupid you did as a teenager but do not regret.
I did a lot of really, really stupid things as a teenager. A LOT! I was really a rotten kid from the time I was about 11 years old until shortly before my 16th birthday. Even after I turned 16 I didn't have the best decision making skills. At least by then my parents weren't ready to ship me off to military school anymore. I regret MOST of the mistakes I made. There aren't too many that I would go back and do again- that's for sure.
Probably the biggest and most stupid thing I did was move in with my boyfriend Bill only four days after I turned 18. My mom is most likely going to have a heart attack to hear this, but I don't regret that. I DO regret many of the things that happened while I lived with Bill, but the whole living with him thing really changed my life, mostly for the better. I had to grow up real fast after that experience. I learned humility in that year, too. Crawling back to Mommy and Daddy and saying you were wrong is not an easy thing to do at such a young age- when you think you rule the world and can do no wrong.
I lived with Bill for less than a year, but I the lessons I learned lasted a lifetime. I learned to stand up for myself. I learned that I was more valuable than to be treated like a door mat. I learned that even when I messed up good my parents would be there and help me put life back together. No, I don't regret the opportunity to have my heart broken and to grow up. I needed to be knocked down, picked back up, and to know that life didn't always go my way.
I'm linking this post up to Comment Love Day. Thank you for visiting!
Oh geez, I feel like i could write on this prompt quite a bit. Really, I guess everyone could! lol. Stopped over from FTLOB, happy comment love day!! Have a great one!
ReplyDeletehttp://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/
Visiting from comment love. That does sound like a big decision (no way was I ready for that at 18) and lots of good lessons learned. I'm visiting from comment love Sunday.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love writing prompts! Makes me think of things I would not otherwise write about.
Sometimes you have to make a big mistake to send you off in the right direction!
ReplyDeleteI did a lot of stupid things too when I was young. However, stupid things shape us into the people we are today!
ReplyDeleteYour mother said you're on restriction until you're 45! lol
ReplyDeleteHugs from Lana
I was told that a LONG time ago Lana! Ha, ha, ha.
ReplyDeleteYep, I did plenty of wrong in my growing up and I sure pray every day my teens don't repay me and do the same. Sometimes life lessons are hard to get good for you for learning from yours.
ReplyDelete