Dear Heron Bird,
You are my favorite of all feathered animals. You are beautiful and have a special ability to make me feel calm. I can't believe that you can make a home in the middle of the suburbs, yet you are seen so infrequently by most people.
You, my friend, are one of the constants in my life. I remember seeing you for the first time just days after I moved to Arizona. I still look for you, 25 years later, when I need comfort and peacefulness.
I have seen you at the break of day, walking along the canal. I have seen you at the lake near the house I had hoped to live in until the girls grew up and moved away. I have seen you at the Riparian Preserve, showing off for your other bird friends.
Thank you for showing me how to be so strong, yet so subtle. Thank you for posing for me, so I can have proof that you are not an imaginary friend. You haven't missed an important event yet. You always appear when I most need you. There are a lot of exciting things to come in the next few weeks. I'll be seeing you soon!
Oh great words! I love those birds too. We have Sandhill Cranes in WI that come back in the spring and it is such a refreshing site to see them because it means that summer is on its way.
ReplyDeleteGreat words and amazing photo.
Thanks Abbie. I looked up the Sandhill Crane, and that is an impressive bird, too. I can see why you would be happy to see them return.
ReplyDeleteYou know... I've lived in Arizona for 25 years, and outside of allergy season and some of the plants blooming, I can't think of anything that indicates to me that summer is coming.
I love the Great Blue Herons. We have a pair that fly up and down our river all Summer long. I haven't seen them yet this Spring but i'm sure they are on their way. I look forward to their return.
ReplyDeleteI love this very personal connection to nature and the beautiful blue heron!
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking this post up on my blog!
Karen, every time I see one of "your birds" I think of you as if a little part of you is flying with them. STAY STRONG!
ReplyDelete