Tuesday, March 6, 2012

T is for Teacher

Image Credit

On August 1 of this year I walked into my very first class that was mine... all mine.  That day was terrifying and wonderful all at the same time.  I had 70 students in four classes, all as willing and eager to learn as I was to teach them.  Ha, that bubble burst quickly!  Truth be told I had 70 students, all of whom were just about as nervous as I was.  Starting middle school is a big step in life.  Teaching middle school is just as big.

For the three years prior to this experience I worked every day towards this dream, going to classes at night and working on homework during the day when my husband was at work and the girls in school.  It was tough, but it was so worth it!  There are days I ask myself why I didn't just keep being a stay-at-home mom. Then I plan a creative and fun lesson or have a classroom discussion that amazes me and I remember what I've done why I've done all of this.

I love watching my students grow and seeing those "ah-ha!" moments.  Last week I read Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax" to my 6th graders, and we discussed the theme.  Watching the children make connections between the book and real life was such a thrill.  As I was reading there were some boys who looked like they were about to cry.  "That's wrong!" they finally shouted out, not being able to hold it in any longer.  THOSE are the moments I teach for.


2 comments:

  1. What an inspiration you are - there's power in dreams isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There sure is, Fi. I hope you are chasing yours!

    ReplyDelete