Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring Break

Image Credit
Time
It seems like it was just a couple weeks ago I was telling you how much I was going to miss you as I returned from work after winter break.  In reality it's been a whole school year quarter.  Wow, where has time gone?

Time has become measured in school-year increments.  Four weeks between grading periods, nine weeks in a quarter, five months in a semester.  Yet each of those time periods becomes meaningless as I prepare each week for the upcoming lessons and plan how to best bring my students enjoyable activities that will help them get the most out of learning.

This quarter has had some extremely frustrating moments.  I would venture to say it was the most challenging of the year.  To be honest I don't anticipate fourth quarter to be anywhere near as chaotic as quarter three was.  I hope to make some changes that will make life easier for me in the classroom, and I'm counting on my fellow teachers being right that Spring Fever caused some really painful moments with low student performance.

Changes
I'm not sure if I mentioned here that we got a new principal in January.  At first I was absolutely terrified.  I went through a principal change last year when I was at a school I absolutely adored.  The school changed so dramatically.  I never realized how powerful that leadership role really is.  When I got the news through an email on Tuesday night that we would be greeted by a new boss on Wednesday, I was stricken with fear.  I was literally sick to my stomach heading to work that morning.

Well, after some adjustment it turns out I could not have been placed in a better situation.  A teacher friend who had worked with this man previously told me to give him a chance.  I'm glad I listened to her advice and kept an open mind.  I love the first principal, don't get me wrong.  THIS one, though, is like finding home after staying in wonderful hotels.  You know what I'm talking about.  At the hotel you are spoiled and happy, but at home life is safe, solid, and although a bit uncomfortable at times it just feels right.  Yep, my school is definitely my second home.

Future
Intent letters were passed out last week on Thursday.  Each year schools pass these out asking teachers to fill out information on their intentions for the following school year.  Do we intend to stay with the school?  Would we like to make any changes in our position?  Employment offers are made after the people in charge have had time to review these letters.

I had mine filled out within about five minutes of getting it out of my mailbox.  YES, I want to come back.  I NEED full-time work next year, though.  Assuming a full-time teaching offer is made I know where I'll be next year.  I can't wait to see what's going to be suggested for me.  One thing I do know is that having a contract for next year would sure make me happy.  Like I said, as much as I can complain about my school at times, it really is like being home.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy you found "home"

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Home' I like that - we all need to love what we do and love going to where we need to go. Best of luck with the full time offer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fi. I will let you all know as soon as I find out about whatever is offered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad things are working out ok for you at work. Good luck for all you hope for next school year. I can imagine what it must be like for a teacher when the principals change... it's tough for us parents too to deal with the changes. At my kids former school the principal is unfortunately not very good. We had such issues last year and she was the least helpful. We ended up pulling the kids out of that school. I still hear complaints about her all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susi, I don't blame you at all for pulling your children out of a school with a principal you didn't care for. I've been on the parenting side of that, too. It's a miserable feeling. For that reason it is really nice to have so many choices in education now.

    ReplyDelete