Saturday, May 21, 2011

Medical Lessons I've Learned- Part 2

You need to take control



Image taken from Google Images

The second lesson I've learned through this experience with shingles is that you need to be in control of your health care. Once you have a plan (see lesson #1), you will feel more comfortable asking for what you need. It is important to remember that, ultimately, YOU are in charge of your health and wellbeing. If you don't feel something is right, ask for another opinion or ask your doctor to look again.

My journey started with a trip to the emergency room and a diagnosis that seemed vague to me. Therefore, when additional symptoms appeared I didn't hesitate to go to the doctor. After the chest pain, the next time I went to the doctor was for what seemed like a small lump in my underarm. Although I was sent away with a diagnosis of an infected hair follicle (it later turned out this was the first of the visible shingles rash), I felt more at ease that the doctor was up-to-date on what was happening.

It took about two weeks to finally get diagnosed with the shingles, and throughout this time there were several visits to the doctor. I felt silly going in a few of the times, but it turned out it was important for the doctor to see me to finally come to the conclusion that I had shingles and to get me on the proper anti-virus medication. Again, if you think something is wrong, TAKE CONTROL! I knew I wasn't crazy, but it did take awhile to make the physician see things my way.

After my shingles were diagnosed, the doctor seemed to think all was well. That turned out to be far from the truth. I kept going downhill, and one day I wound up thinking I was going to lose my eyesight due to shingles around my eye. Fortunately my eyesight was saved. This was the beginning of a round of appointments. I saw different doctors and had different procedures done. Within a nine day period I saw the doctor seven times.

Many of the appointments were made because I was in control of my care. I insisted that something needed to be done. Thank goodness I did. I cannot imagine how much worse it would have been if I had listened to the nurse when I called to make a few of the appointments. As it is, by the time I got hospitalized I was having muscle spasms that were causing my legs and arms to flop around uncontrollably. At the appointment that got me sent to the emergency room to be admitted to the hospital, my doctor said he wished he had seen me a few hours earlier. Hours- not days, but hours. We were in a situation that hours were making a difference. Yet I had spent all day arguing with his office about the need to see the doctor and get information to him.

When it comes to health care, you are your best advocate. You know your body. If you feel something is wrong, do something about it. Shout from the very tops of the trees if you need to. Get some attention and be heard. If you need to, ask a friend or a relative to help you.

At one point through all of this, I collapsed into Daniel's arms and told him I couldn't continue. I was too weak emotionally and physically to continue to fight my own fight. He took over and started getting me the care I needed. Be sure to have someone on your side.

Have you ever had a need to step up and ask for more from your doctor? If not, you will know when that time comes. What is your plan for taking control?

No comments:

Post a Comment