I'm linking up with Mrs. Readalot for her bloggy book club. Please click the button above to find more great book reviews and to discover next month's book choice!
This month's book club choice was "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. The book grabbed my attention well before I even got to the first page. After the title page, there was a quote. From all of the possible sources, this quote came from Dr. Seuss. What in the world did Dr. Seuss, known for his children's stories, have do to with a book about a circus? I just had to find out!
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant...
An elephant's faithful- one hundred per cent!"
- From "Horton Hatches the Egg
Of course, now I had to read TWO books- first "Water for Elephants," then "Horton Hatches the Egg." In "Horton," he is asked by the bird Mayzie to sit on her egg. She wants to go play, go on vacation. Horton, being the nice elephant he is, agrees and sits on her egg. Horton is eventually taken to the circus just because he is the nice guy who sticks to his word.
What does this have to do with "Water for Elephants?" Well, because "an elephant's faithful one hundred per cent". You're going to have to read "Water for Elephants" to find out what that means. (If you want a chance to win the book, see my "Water for Elephants" review and giveaway post.) I did, however, find "Horton Hatches the Egg" so you can listen to it here:
Hahaha, cute idea Karen!!
ReplyDeleteI love Dr Seuss.
That quote slipped right past me in the book - so goodonya for noticing that one.
Now that you mention it... it does ring a bell!
x
Very creative! I like how you posted the book too.Look forward to playing it later when my kids are up from naps. Horton, I think I'm going to have to get a pet and name it Horton. Maybe a fish?
ReplyDeleteJamie: A fish named Horton would be a hoot!
ReplyDelete