Sunday, May 6, 2012

Musing Mondays- April 30




This week’s musing asks…
Do you listen to audiobooks? If not, why not? And, if so, what has been one of your favorites, so far?


Well, it's a little past Monday by the time I've gotten to this, but I wanted to answer it anyway.  I DO listen to audiobooks.  I LOVE them!  I honestly think the only way I can stand my drive to and from work sometimes is by getting involved in a story.


Okay, so I only drive about 20-30 minutes each way, but if you know me you know how much I HATE driving.  Audiobooks provide a good experience and help me to arrive to work feeling like I've already done something productive and peaceful.  I have found, however, that I can only listen to audiobooks while I am driving.  If I try to listen to them while doing chores or walking my mind takes off somewhere on its own and I miss a lot of the story.  Driving provides just enough need to concentrate that I can stay in the moment.


My favorite audiobook is usually the last one I've listened to.  Seriously, if it was a book I would have read anyway, listening to the audiobook is exciting because I can get through it quickly and can be reading another book during my evening routine.  I love that.  There are many books that I've chosen, though, that sound like they have a great plot but are not something I would usually pick up.  These are fun because it IS something different.


3 comments:

  1. Personally I'm not an audio book reader but my sister loves them a lot..Thanks for stopping by my blog and i hope you have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love audio books. They are great for driving, but also for mundane tasks, chopping vegetables, pressing quilt fabric etc. I do listen while walking, but discipline is needed to keep me on audio track as my mind will wander as well. Because I have alot of short trips, it is perfect for those books that you want to read, but find hard to deal with. Could never have made my way through Moby Dick in paper, but as an audio book it worked well. So far all the Haruki Murakami that I have read have been audio books. I don't know if I would have stuck with them had I been reading paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love audiobooks! My favorite is still Breath of a Scandal. It's a terrible story with an awesome revenge plot. I loved it! Even had Dan and my mom listen to it and they both loved it too.

    ReplyDelete