Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Simple Swaps

I just finished reading a book that had a lot of interesting information in it. It was "The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle" by Cheryl Forberg. Although I didn't agree with some (perhaps even a lot) of what was included in the book, it did get me thinking. What food can I change that will be healthier and more beneficial to my goals?

One example became so clear yesterday at breakfast. I had accidentally purchased the full flavor, fat, and calorie yogurt instead of reduced that I've been getting. When I filled out my food diary (more on that in a coming post), I realized that the yogurt I ate for breakfast was a full 70 calories more than the reduced variety. I honestly can't tell the difference in the reduced and full flavors, so this seemed like an easy change to make. By the way, this was on Yoplait yogurt. Each yogurt is going to be a little different.

I never thought I would get Daniel to eat healthier, but he is taking this lifestyle pretty seriously, too. Another swap we made came from a suggestion by our personal trainer. He suggested switching to reduced fat cheeses. We have found a WONDERFUL cheese that melts well for sandwiches and has a terrific stand-alone taste. The Sargentos line of reduced fat cheeses are only 50 calories per slice compared to an average of 80 in the full fat versions. At Wal-Mart the Sargentos brand is even comfortably in our price range! Awesome!

Simple Swaps- really not so simple, but we are learning. For me, part of being healthy is still enjoying food. I am looking for better ways to do that every day. If I can save 70 calories by switching to a different brand or variety, that's great. I still get to have the same breakfast, it's just better for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment